Taking med school exams can be a very confusing process and not just because of the lengthy syllabuses. Be it the registration deadlines or the fee submission process, our educational system doesn’t quite allow ease of access. 

So to put students’ minds at ease, we’ve come up with this all-inclusive guide to the MDCAT.

Want to know all the itty gritty about the MDCAT? Read on!

What is the MDCAT?

For starters, the MDCAT is a standardized exam conducted by the UHS for admission into most medical and dental colleges in Punjab. With a few exceptions like CMH, Fatima Jinnah Medical College, and AMC, the MDCAT is your entry ticket to over 20 medical and dental colleges in Punjab, including all major government institutions. 

When does the MDCAT take place?

The exam takes place once a year, in or around August (the final dates, however, are always announced by the UHS two months prior).

What documents do candidates need to have?

1. National Identity Card issued by Nadra or Juvenile Identity Card if age is below 18. 

2. Domicile of the candidate issued by local court of city of origin. 

3. Official Matric result card/equivalence certificate for O-levels/IB.

4. Provisional certificates of candidates awaiting Fsc result/stamp paper for candidates who have repeated Fsc and are awaiting result/equivalence certificate of A-Levels/IB.

5. Eight colored photographs of size 3.5 cm to 4.5 cm and two colored photographs of size 2.5cm to size 2.5cm.

All relevant documents should be attested by a local government official. 

Once all listed documents are submitted, candidates automatically get registered to the UHS and the application process thereafter is conducted through the same credentials. 

How to apply for the MDCAT?

The application process, too, isn’t as daunting as it is made to seem.

At this link, fill in the required information in the application form, upload a colored photograph (not more than 2mb in size), and click register to obtain an individualized serial number. Print the challan form shown on your screen and submit a fee of Rs. 500 at the respective bank. The serial number should be kept safe in order for you to keep track of your application. 

What does the MDCAT comprise of?

The exam is a two and a half hour long (150 mins) test, comprising of 220 mcqs, and is broken down into the following: 

Biology: 88mcqs

Chemistry: 58 mcqs

Physics: 44 mcqs

English: 30 mcqs

What is the MDCAT syllabus like?

The latest version of the syllabus is for the 2018 examination and can be accessed here.

How does the merit work?

This process can be broken down according to one’s raw marks; matric/O level grades account for 10% of a candidate’s overall grade. Whereas a candidate’s A level grades account for a whopping 40% of the merit and MDCAT grades for a staggering 50%.

Students who have pursued matric and Fsc route have no need to worry about extra formalities before MDCAT. However, students that hail from the O and A Level system have to make sure they have their original general certificates ready to submit at the Higher Education Commission, in order to obtain an equivalence for their grades.

Here, I would like to stress to all candidates that their O Level grades have a weightage in their O Level quota as well as their A Level quota. For the A Level equivalence, the HEC considers the grades of candidates for five general O Level subjects accompanied by the three science subjects from A-levels.

Here’s to hoping this guide helps out all those who are confused!

2018-06-22T04:46:25+00:00

About the Author:

I am lucky, because through teaching, I get to live my passion. I love inspiring and learning. And I love results. There is no better feeling than seeing one of your students finally “get it.” I did my O and A Levels from Lahore Grammar School and after acing my own SAT, I graduated from LUMS in 2013. I have been teaching and mentoring students since I was in A Level and till date, I have taught more than 5000+ local and international students: helping them with their SAT exam and college applications. I have taught at various schools like Beaconhouse School System, Lahore Grammar School, LACAS, The Froebels, UCL , The Lahore Alma and through my experience, I have realized the most important aspect of teaching is to understand each and every individual’s needs. This can only be developed through a personal understanding of each of them. You can always drop by to have a discussion with me over a cup of coffee! Looking forward to teaching you. :)

Leave A Comment